#Reggaevibe - Find Your Own Sound



website logo

Greetings

One of the toughest things about being an Indie Artist is trying to stand out from the crowd. One way is to find your own style and sound. This is not the only way. A lot of artists go down the doing covers road. This is a good way to get noticed and if the cover takes off can lead to the opportunity to then release your own songs. However, I have decided to release my own songs with my own feel.

One of my releases ' Innocent'  was reviewed and when I saw the lead title ' Miss Tun Pickney Expands the Reggae Genre' this meant a lot to me as trying to add your own twist to a genre in a meaningful way leaves yourself open to self doubt especially if this is viewed negatively.

Innocent Review by Indie Band Guru

However, the music industry is now a place of opportunity for many. But with this comes the fact that trying to be visible to music lovers is hard work. There are many factors that can make your music different in a crowded market place and one of those is to have a different sound. There is an insatiable appetite for new music. So although trying to have your own sound is risky, if you get it right, it can make a big difference to your path to success.

I draw inspiration from my musical influencers and the things that I like to hear in songs. As a musican you can then add 'yourself' to the song. What I mean is, for example, you could give 10 guitarists the same guitar and you would hear 10 personalities being portrayed when they play the guitar. This personality is what needs to be added to the musical ideas to finally end up with your own sound. It doesn't have to be a dramatic difference to be recognized, it could just be a matter of emphasis.

If you follow my blog you know my genre is #reggae but there are always things I like in great songs from other genres, the things that make you remember the song. My biggest influences were Bob Marley and Sly & Robbie. The pioneering rhythm section, that Sly & Robbie were, is something that always stayed with me and during my days with 'The Instigators' had a strong influence on our songs. Bob Marley, on the hand, was a supreme storyteller and the power that good lyrics have to transform a song is understood by all music fans.

However, it takes courage and belief to put your personality into your music rather than make it sound like someone else's. Especially, if you are looking to make a living from making music. But. nothing beats the feeling when others appreciate your musical style and productions, that is a flame that can keep fires of self belief burning for a long while.

So I am going to keep trying out ideas and try to expand the reggae genre in my own way. If your music doesn't contain any of you, then, it's somebody else's music (sounds like an idea for a song..hmm?)

You can hear my productions on my website  Dingazz Music the home of Miss Tun Pickney.

Innocent Review by Indie Band Guru

single cover art



Comments