Well, I'm not talking about the last frontier. While doing a bit of an audit on the digital music distribution platforms that my songs are on, I realised I couldn't find all my tracks on my artist page. I did a search of the missing tracks and they were there on the stores. So what was going on?
At first I thought this was a mess up by the store. When I looked closely at the pages there was a subtle difference one was 'Miss Tun Pickney' the other 'MissTun Pickney'. Just a missing space but what problems it created!
|Miss Tun Pickney Artist page|
So what Are the options to Fix an Artist Page?
A. Contact each store individually. This as you can imagine would be a nightmare unless you only distributed your song to a small number of stores. Even then, unless, they have Artist services e.g. Spotify for Artists, it is difficult to get a response.
B. Take down the song and distribute again. This means cancelling the distribution with your distribution company and creating another distribution (another fee and UPC). The stores take down the original entry and add the new entry.
I tried A. with Apple Music and they sorted it. But I had subscribed to their beta Apple for Artists. So contacting them was easier. In the end option B. was easier for me. I was told that the streaming stats would be lost. But I found that the history continued on the new distribution, in the case of Spotify anyway. But it was a lesson learnt. I now TRIPLE CHECK, CHECK and CHECK AGAIN all the song details before clicking that submit button.
Keep feeling the vibe